spinsterfun

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë
Don't Tell Alfred
Nancy Mitford
Autobiographies (Collected Works, Vol 3)
Douglas Archibald, William O'Donnell, W.B. Yeats

Yikes

Pretty Little Killers: The Truth Behind the Savage Murder of Skylar Neese - Daleen Berry, Geoffrey C. Fuller

Skylar Neese was brutally murdered by her best friends, and nobody really knows why. This book presents a sexual motive, but it's hard to trust the authors because of the way they speculate about events. It's also terribly written and so badly formatted (possibly because I read it on Kindle) that I found myself frequently paging backwards to see if I'd missed a paragraph.

Things jump around so much that it's actually hard to follow the chain of events: finding the timeline at the back of the book helped to clear up some nagging questions I had as I read. The authors also drop a couple of plots: they imply that something mysterious came to light after investigators seized Shelia Eddy's car but don't follow up with any forensic evidence, and they also go on at length about various Facebook groups that spread lies and innuendo without bringing any closure to those threads. Did Skylar's family confront the distant relatives who ran the Facebook page that accused them of lying? Did other people turn against them after the girls were convicted? Does anyone know how Jennifer Hunt or the anonymous tweeters got their information? Speaking of tweeting, the analysis given here of the girls' tweets was embarrassing. Ask your 90-year-old grandpa to explain to you how email works and you'll get a taste of the "old folks jabbering about kids today" air of the book.

I can't recommend this book to anyone. If you want to learn more about the case you'd be better off watching the Dateline episode or reading articles online. I wish I'd stopped there and not started slogging through this horribly written nonsense. Skylar and the people who care about her deserve better than this book.