spinsterfun

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Anne Brontë
Don't Tell Alfred
Nancy Mitford
Autobiographies (Collected Works, Vol 3)
Douglas Archibald, William O'Donnell, W.B. Yeats

Too simple

Creative Makers: Simple Crochet: With more than 35 vintage-vibe projects for your handmade life - Sara Sinaguglia, Yuki Sugiara

Man, this title was no lie. These are VERY simple crochet projects, so this book would be great for an utter beginner filled with the urge to frill up his or her house, but there's nothing new here for anyone who already knows how to make a granny square. I would argue that the projects are *too* simple in some instances: there are, for example, washcloth patterns consisting solely of single crochets with a tiny bit of color variation.

The author seems very nice, but I wasn't really feeling the overall aesthetic of her projects and some of them (egg cozies) would not be at all useful for me. I did like the patterns for the scarves and fingerless mitts at the end.

One other quibble: there's very little information given about the yarn that's used in each pattern. Newbies especially need to know why a particular yarn is appropriate for something, so I think some extra information there could have been really useful. Not to mention the fact that the yarns she lists are fairly rare/expensive compared to what most people will have easy access to at big craft stores, so offering some possible substitutions would have been nice.